Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Helpful Tools: The Names of Twelve Disciples of Jesus


       Sometimes we get a little turned around when we're reading through the Scriptures. One example is when we see a list of names in one Book of the Bible and that "same list of names" shows up again in another Book of the Bible and it doesn't match up.

       Point in Case; the 12 Disciples of Jesus in Matthew 10:1-3, Mark 3:14-19, Luke 6:13-16, and Acts 1:13. 

       Why do the names not match up neat and clean and tidy?

       Answer;  people have more than one name.  Me, I have three given names, Sidney, Eric, and Nixon.  I have had a few official names, Sergeant, Reverend, and Mister (though Mr. Nixon Lives in Tennessee with my Mother).  I have had a few nicknames over the years, Sid, Doc, "Big E" (though this ones must be related to my size due to the fact I never could find "Little e"),  and I was even called "Sampson" in High School when I played football.  Not because I was unusually strong, I had long hair down to my shoulders that hung out of my helmet.  I've had a few  "nicknames" I can't mention in mixed company, but I'm sure they were given in "love." 

       As a Minister I have had a few additional names, whether official or nickname I'm still not sure, Pastor, Preacher, and "Shhhh here comes Trouble."

       So to help you out as you read your Bible as I know you are;
Here are the Names of the 12 Disciples or Apostles of Jesus

  1. Simon also called Peter, Simon Peter, or Cephas
  2. Andrew the brother of Peter (#1)
  3. James the son of Zebedee
  4. John the brother of James (#3)
 James (#3) and John (#4) were called Boanerges meaning “Sons of Thunder”

  1. James the son of Alphaeus also called James the Younger or James the Lesser
  2. Philip
  3. Bartholomew
  4. Thomas
  5. Mathew the tax collector also called Levi
  6. Thaddaeus also called Judas son of James or Thaddaeus the Zealot
  7. Simon the Zealot also called Simon the Canaanite
  8. Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus

  • Matthias replaced Judas (#12) after lots were drawn in Acts
  • Saul became Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment